Migrating to WordPress

In keeping with my restive immigrant identity, I decided that I couldn’t leave well enough alone and created a huge headache for myself with this move to WordPress. I realize that in a year or two, when this blog has even more visitors than the original one had, the drama I’ve created around this move today and yesterday will seem funny. But there’s been drama, people. I barely managed to get any sleep at night, my hands are shaking, and my ears are buzzing. A book arrived that I’d been waiting for, and I barely cared. And I also just discovered that I forgot to eat today. This blog has been making me very happy, and I’m terrified of losing readers and visitors.

So please keep coming to clarissasblog.com. Enter this new address into your Google Reader and blogroll. Bookmark it and link to it on your blog, Facebook page, or other resource.

25 thoughts on “Migrating to WordPress

1. David Bellamy on said:

I am confused. This site does not have ‘wordpress’ in its URL. Is this a WordPress site, or a site that you privately own?

• That was the entire point of the move (apart from being frustrated with Blogger’s malfunctioning.) I have bought a custom domain from WordPress. It costs $17 per year. Now, I think, it will be easier for people to enter the address. clarissasblog is easier than the more confusing clarissasbox.blogspot.com

2. Anonymous on said:

Hola compañera,

I will be coming to read you here or there, but if I have to be 100% honest, I don’t like it here as much as in the other. It is only a of aesthetics, and probably won’t affect any of your current readers. Among things I don’t like are the font, the amount of (funny enough) google adds that you get when you read comments from other people, and the looks in general.
    Good thing, I believe is open source, is it?

• This will all be tweaked little by little. I’m not crazy about the font either but I will be changing all of it gradually. This is just the very first day and you should have seen how the first blog looked on its very first day. 🙂 It was butt-ugly. 🙂

Why don’t I get any Google ads when I read, is my question.

3. I decide to adopt the same theme in my blog. I like it too much.

4. David Bellamy on said:

I also don’t get any Google ads. Very odd that some do and some don’t.

• That’s weird. I’m sure it means I messed something up in the settings. I’m obviously not a computer genius.

Thank you for sticking with the blog even though I know you are not very happy about the move. I really love it, though, that I can respond to people’s comments individually and they can respond to each other.

5. el on said:

The description honestly frightened me. Don’t worry, as long as you write as before, the readers won’t be lost. May be traditional Russian cup of tea would help? 🙂

I’ve already changed the link in my Favorites Tab.

• Thank you, el! I’m happy I won’t lose you as a reader.

I’m planning to help myself with a huge Italian meal today. Tea, coffee and wine are proving to be useless in this situation. 🙂

6. Just here to congratulate you on the move! I have updated your address in my blogroll.

Don’t worry too much about losing readers — I moved from one spot to another on blogspot in August of last year, and people followed. If you get a lot of traffic from certain sites, I think it’s a good idea to nudge those specific bloggers to update their blogrolls, but apart from that, I would just leave one final post “Clarissa’s Blog has moved!” with essentially just your new address for posterity at blogspot, and people will find you.

Congrats again on your new digs! I wish we could throw a blog-warming party…

• Thank you for the encouragement! I was terrified that I’d be siting here all lonely staring at an empty blog. But people seem to be quite comfortable with the change, for which I am very grateful

Can I suggest a design change? I think it’s a better idea to put the link for comments at the end of a post and not at the beginning. It’s more intuitive that way – I mean, you can only comment on a post *after* you’ve finished reading it, at which point it’s slightly annoying to have to scroll up to get to the link for commenting. What do you think?

• Wow, WordPress does publish comments from trusted commenters without me having to approve them! This rocks!

I think your suggestion is great. I also find this system confusing. Now the question is whether I will be able to find out how to change it. Any suggestions?

8. msa on said:

Now it is much easier to read on the iPhone! Faster and good interface. Thank you.

9. I love your new blog!