By huge popular demand: people! What are your favorite books?
The favorite books I don’t think I mentioned on this blog are:
– La Regenta by Leopoldo Alas. 19th century, exists in the English translation, like Madame Bovary (sorry, professor, I don’t really mean it, I’m just popularizing) but a lot lot better.
– Time of Silence by Luis Martín-Santos. Also available in English. The great novel of the Franco era.
– The Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse, nerds of the world, unite!
– and for something lighter, Guilt by John Lescroart who writes very solid courtroom dramas. This is his best one.
– Honour Thy Father by Leslie Glaister for those who like psychoanalytic Gothic. OK, forget it, it’s just fun to read. Very engrossing. I read it a quarter of a century ago and still can’t get over it. That’s saying something. Maybe I should reread it.
Which are your favorites? But don’t give me the obvious ones. I want to be surprised.