I’ve been challenged to name 10 good things about 2020. I have a lot more than 10, so, in no particular order, here goes:
1. Noticeably increased my income.
2. My husband has had the best year of his life, and it’s a joy to see his blissfully happy face every day.
3. My kid barely noticed the pandemic and didn’t have her life affected by it. She’s also having the best year of her life.
4. Got published in Ukraine.
5. Got published in Germany.
6. Got published in the Canary Islands.
7. Got published in Canada.
8. Did my first edited volume. I’m the editor and the author of the first chapter.
9. Became Chair and discovered I’m loving it.
10. Fell back in love with my job after a period of 4 years of great disappointment with it. (I’m not talking about the profession but the specific job at this particular school).
11. Traveled to Seattle, Boston, the Ozarks, and Florida.
12. Didn’t allow COVID hysteria to pollute my brain.
13. Got my first article on Castellanos Moya published and then wrote and submitted my second article on him.
14. Joined a book club.
15. Bought furniture.
16. Red some fantastic books and discovered a bunch of great writers. These are all Hispanic writers. I’ve pretty much given up on recently written literature in English at this point.
17. Discovered a bunch of great new restaurants thanks to a very worldly friend.
18. Saw Disney on Ice. (Not on TV).
19. Discovered Alex Berenson who singlehandedly saved my sanity in times of COVID.
20. Discovered a great new conference. It’s like a real community and not one of those cold, impersonal MLA-type things. I’m now going to be a regular.
21. Taught in person.
22. Had a really great experience homeschooling.
The bad things are:
1. I haven’t seen my sister, parents, niece and nephew in a year. This is very painful to me.
2. Discovered that a lot more North Americans than I could ever have imagined are totalitarianism-loving pussies. This makes me angry.
3. Witnessed a terrifying growth in censorship and electoral fraud.
4. Realized that a senile corrupt useless idiot will be our president.
5. Did a lot worse on my health goals than in 2019. Those daily cafeteria lunches are not my friend.
6. Had to teach online for 2 weeks.