Neoliberal Identity

The goal of neoliberal ideology is to get people to accept “free market” principles as common sense. It seeks to destroy all forms of human solidarity in order to erect the identity of a sovereign, free-floating consumer as the only desirable and even possible one.

The fashionable slogan of “biological sex and race don’t exist” serves this very purpose.

17 thoughts on “Neoliberal Identity

1. Neoliberalism is the ultimate “divide and conquer” strategy?

Fun.
    I just called my representative and senators in DC and at their local offices about the AHCA to tell them to oppose it.
    It’s a piece of shit.
    Latest ACA Repeal Plan Would Explode Premiums for People with Pre-Existing Conditions

• C-section is a pre-existing condition? And post-partum depression? No, there is absolutely no war on women. What on Earth made you think there might be?

• Evelina Anville on said:

The more I read about this bill, the worse it seems. It is essentially lifting any restrictions on insurance companies or employers when it comes to health insurance. I understand that we will never have public/single payer health insurance in this country. But we should at least have a reasonable change at healthcare.

At some point, every adult is going to have some sort of “condition” that is pre-existing: high blood pressure, high cholesterol, (I personally have thicker uterine lining that renders me slightly more vulnerable to uterine cancer). This could massively terrible consequences for a variety of people in a variety of socio-economic backgrounds.

I know (or I think) that I am preaching to the choir here. But I am just flabbergasted at how bad this bill is. Worse than what we had before the ACA. How is anyone voting for people like this or in favor of this bill?

• If a C-section or a postpartum depression are pre-existing conditions, it gets very easy to dub anything a condition and refuse coverage to anybody. Which, I’m guessing, is the precise goal of all this.

Nasty freaks.

The reasoning on this is exactly “fuck human solidarity”.

Granted, a millionaire with his own late night show isn’t you or me.

Toward the end Kimmel said, “Before 2014, if you were born with congenital heart disease like my son was, there was a good chance you’d never be able to get health insurance because you had a pre-existing condition. You were born with a pre-existing condition. And if your parents didn’t have medical insurance, you might not live long enough to even get denied because of a pre-existing condition.

“If your baby is going to die and it doesn’t have to, it shouldn’t matter how much money you make,” he said. “I think that’s something that, whether you’re a Republican, or a Democrat or something else, we all agree on that, right?”

But this is ridiculous:

Remember this is a dude who didn’t pay his child support payments for his own kids.

• It’s incredible to me that such horrible people can even exist. I don’t know what damage had to be done to them to produce such robots devoid of all humanity. And the worst part is that they seem entirely oblivious of how disgusting they sound.

All they deserve is to be spit on. I have nothing but contempt for folks who can say something like that about a sick baby.

• Evelina Anville on said:

I know. How can there be debate surrounding a baby with a heart condition? And this from the same people who hysterically cry over fetuses?

Whee!

I heard people singing “na na na, na na nah hey hey hey goodbye.” I’m not sure whether it was Republicans or Democrats. Either way, it was disgusting.

6. adrianaurelien on said:

Note I’m remembering a horrible time I was at an LGBT meeting and the topic was trans people and somebody there was like “physical transition is so expensive and difficult. Can’t trans people just transition and keep the bodies they were born with? Sex is a social construct, a man/woman can have any kind of body.” All the actual trans people there disagreed and said “that’s kinda the main reason we’re transitioning, also there’s definitely a physical difference.” But they were all mostly ignored or dismissed with cries of “genitals aren’t gendered!” “vaginas and breasts can be male.” From what I’ve seen, it’s mostly not trans people who try to deny sexual difference, it’s ignorant “activists” who only listen to people who agree with them. A very frustrating crowd.