Wednesday Link Encyclopedia

A brand that sells Jewishness to the Jew-curious. The disgust I feel for all of the participants is not to be described in words.

It’s all about choice but only until the choices are made by people you detest. Then it’s all, “how dare you??”

And more on the fetish of choice

The best explanation for why the rich kids of #Occupy were so stuck on the rhetoric of 99%: “The class of liberal professionals who talk about reducing income inequality are not threatened by talk of taxing the 1 percent. But they would lose out from a broad equalization of incomes between the top 25 percent and the bottom 25 percent.”

Then this freak of nature won’t get a job and will blame the universe for it when the real reason for her unemployability is her insufferable self-pity. I took these hormones and functioned perfectly well because I’m not an immature drama queen.

Anti-Romeo squads in India: this is what happens when you artificially create a shortage of women in a country.

The bars and cafes I visited all posted super-progressive signs that told bigots to stay out and welcomed people of all colors inside. Some even had Black Lives Matter posters. But once in these businesses, there were only white people.” So true! These poor fools try so hard to demonstrate how inclusive they are but their desperation scares people off.

Are these freaks for real? Surely, they have to be invented. It’s too horrible to contemplate the possibility that some poor girl might have actually been cursed with such horrible parents.

No wonder non-academics think we are lazy. When, when will academics stop whining about the hardships of adulthood?

If you believe in women’s freedom, you must support women’s choice to do whatever they want with their bodies.” I remember Echidne once said that soon we will hear claims that if women choose to have their faces beaten in by abusers, we must respect this choice. Of course, every form of subjection of women has been positioned as women’s choice. But the silly little bits of fluff like the author of the linked piece don’t know that.

I don’t understand this freak out over a Christian sex educator. The worst she can do is make children laugh. The impact these teachings can have on anybody’s actual sex lives is nil.

20 thoughts on “Wednesday Link Encyclopedia

The trail of painkillers leads to West Virginia’s southern coalfields, to places like Kermit, population 392. There, out-of-state drug companies shipped nearly 9 million highly addictive — and potentially lethal — hydrocodone pills over two years to a single pharmacy in the Mingo County town.

“The disgust I feel for all of the participants is not to be described in words. ”

Could you articulate why? Is your disgust coming from the angle of consumerism or something else? I used to get mad at people playacting Hinduism, but don’t have anymore. Well, at least not from the angle of ‘cultural appropriation’. My take is that I have contempt for anyone trying to half-ass things. I just cannot understand anyone gushing over a religion and not even reading a book about it.

That goes for anything, not just religion. Any hobby or pursuit. Like, how can you claim you’re into something, and then tattoo something on your arm and be done with it? How intellectually incurious. I think this is what bothers me more.

• With these dumb purchases they are trying to fill a hole that can’t be filled this way. The funny thing is that they could use this extra money and time to feel the emptiness at their core by doing something for people. Volunteer at a shelter, donate to a food bank, teach kids from indigent families to read, get politically active. They buy junk to feel part of a community when they could actually be part of a real community and do something valuable. We only get one life, and to waste it on this shit when there is so little time to read, learn, speak to people. I can’t respect this. It doesn’t matter if it’s religion or massive quantities of junk food that they buy. It’s the refusal to see the utter futility of all this.

• “they are trying to fill a hole that can’t be filled this way”

Okay, I only glanced at it, but what got me was that yeah, they’re looking for meaning but instead of being impressed by a rituaol and then creating a new one that would mean something personal to them (and maybe their kids and kids’ kids) they’re just aping someone else’s. How can that possibly be fulfilling (especially without the central religious context?)

It’s not the dilettantism or “appropriation” that’s sad here for me, but the massive lack of originality.

• “The problem with your suggestions is that they offer the danger of dealing with real people who might not always delight them while if they ever get bored of their Jewish play acting they can chuck it without a backward glance.”

• And that’s the essence of consumerism. As Zygmunt Bauman says, the most enjoyable thing for a consumer is not even purchasing things but discarding them to free up space for new purchases.

These poor, dumb fuckers.

Why does the FBI director even have a creeper twitter account

It’s either bait or this guy… I should head B613 or the FBI instead…

The ridiculousness of the electoral college in one picture.

• I think the picture demonstrates the exact opposite. How fair is it to allow that tiny little area to decide the fate of such an enormous one? Especially given that the kind of people who get attracted to it tend to be. . . you know. Not representative of anybody I know or want to know, let’s put it that way.

• Democrats had 16 (sixteen, dieceiseis, sześćnaście) years to try to change the electoral college and they did nothing (or as near to same as is possible). What are they doing now?

On the other hand, having presidential elections decided by people in five or so of 50 states has its democratic shortcomings too.

• Tomorrow somebody offers the folks in LA county free diet pills for life and they will all vote for whoever that is. I have precisely zero interest in trusting my fate to them. The degree of their understanding of our lives in the “flyover country” is non-existent.

But who cares anyway of we are all seeing that national politics is dead and it’s only regional and especially local politics that matters?

So has that OurStates.org site proved useful to you?

And you’re in Illinois…which has Cook County (#2) which has Chicago, ooga booga boo crime! Why not freak out over Harris County, TX (#3), which has Houston?

I swear, half your argument is “I hate LA.” Fine. But consider why so many people have voted with their feet and aren’t stuffed into Montana, Iowa, Mississippi or Georgia (apparently Atlanta is not enough)? It’s not just “jobs.” I have a family member that got offered a well paying job in Mississippi — he didn’t take it. Guess why.

• From what I remember- and I might be wrong- LA County has one of the largest numbers of millionaires of all counties in the US. And these are the people I’m supposed to trust to decide things for me, just because the Hollywood obsession is so strong in this country? That makes no sense to me.

I would choose absolutely any place in the US before I would consider moving to any part of California. Even New Mexico, with its horrible climate, is better. But I haven’t been watching Hollywood movies my whole life.

• As for OurStates, they don’t even have any of the issues I’m interested in. It’s all so far back in the past.

Things are different around here. Rauner will raise the minimum wage and that will be an enormous blow to the public university system because we’ll have to fire all of our student workers. And it’s not like anybody else is lining up to hire them.

California, by the way, already destroyed its university system completely.

“I think the picture demonstrates the exact opposite. How fair is it to allow that tiny little area to decide”

Areas don’t decide. People do. One person, one vote. How is this controversial?

• This is not a principle that can work effectively for such a large and diverse country as this one. Which is what the map illustrates.

• It is one person one vote at the state level (originally intended to be primary).

The national level (originally intended to be a small supplementary form of government) was about states not individual people (who have their voice at the state level).

You can make the argument that the original intentions are no longer suited to the current environment and argue for changes on that ground. But simply saying it’s unfair and expecting the world to change won’t work.

6. \ Are these freaks for real? Surely, they have to be invented. It’s too horrible to contemplate the possibility that some poor girl might have actually been cursed with such horrible parents.

Because they talk too much about sex with their teen?

Because they are OK with her selling sexual services?

Both?

• Imagine what they had to do to the poor kid her whole life for her to try to attract their attention by announcing she’s planning to whore herself out. But this is a typical narcissistic mother. She only cares inasmuch as this gives her a chance to get attention from complete strangers in as public a way as possible.

7. Liked Uri’s latest column about prison system: