Readers of novels are and have always been women. The goal of authors who write entertainment literature is to sell books, so they have to please the audience. I read quite a bit of mystery novels and I keep noticing that:
1) A hard-core male detective is always extremely chivalrous, uxorious, and faithful.
2) The only way for a male protagonist of such books to have a new woman in his life is if the one he’s with leaves him or dies. The detective will spend about 2 years grieving and drinking himself to death, but then a new woman will give him hope.
3) Male protagonists are always dumped by female protagonists.
4) Female protagonists, however, dump men all over the place. The #1 reason is that they are “not ready for a relationship.” The #2 reason is that they want more excitement.
5) If a hard-core male detective is dumped by his deeply beloved wife (and there is no other kind), she marries a much younger man almost instantly while the abandoned hard-core male detective will pine for her for decades to come. And raise his children, her children, and the children she has with the new man.
6) A hard-core female detective apprehends criminals in her 9th month of pregnancy and always has a husband whose work allows him to be with their children all or almost all of the time. It seems like the only point of childbirth for women in these novels is to get an opportunity to pursue a gang of armed and vicious killers while beginning to go into labor. After that valuable experience, the child loses all importance until s/he is 5 and can be conveniently kidnapped by a gang of armed and vicious pedophiles for the hard-core female detective to pursue.
7) A hard-core male detective is incapable of having sex without being profoundly in love.
8) A hard-core female detective prefers to have casual sex and lots of it.
9) Every woman has a male friend who will do absolutely anything for her. She, however, keeps forgetting he exists.
10) Male protagonists are all great cooks while female protagonists can’t boil water.
Entertainment movies embody male fantasies while entertainment literature does the same for women. And this makes for very repetitive and boring entertainment.