Disappointed

Instead of all those articles on people who are still happy they supported Trump, I’d like to see a few on whether people are still happy they supported Hillary. Because I’m not. If I could go back now, I’d just stay with Bernie. I used to be very worried about his complete lack of understanding of Russia, but Russia isn’t even coming up (I mean, in reality, not in the conspiracy theory world), so it’s all moot anyway.

11 thoughts on “Disappointed

I’d like to see a few on whether people are still happy they supported Hillary.

I’m not sure what you’d hope to learn from such articles. People who supported HRC are by definition unhappy about it because she’s not in office. She’s pretty much taken to the woods and maybe did a little promotion for her book. So all you’d get is a bunch of speculation about how things would be better or at least not as bad.

In addition people who supported HRC are vehemently unhappy Trump is in office.

I’m not sure what the hell Bernie is doing. I stopped paying attention when he decided to debate Ted Cruz on health care on CNN.

2. Demotrash on said:

I like Hillary a lot less than I did a year ago and she wouldn’t be my top choice, but I’d still choose her over Bernie. Well actually, if I could go back in time, I’d tell everyone to choose Bernie just to see how things change if he’s the nominee (and so I wouldn’t have to hear people saying “Bernie woulda won!” anymore.)

Ultimately I don’t there’s much point having regrets about who I supported in the primary. Neither Hillary nor Bernie became president and at this point they’re irrelevant. Why have regrets? And I definitely don’t regret voting for Hillary in the general.

3. Never liked the Clintons, didn’t like him as governor of Arkansas or her as first lady, didn’t like him as President, didn’t like her as secretary of state, voted Sanders in primary. Do you mean you think we should have run him, and he’d have won? I don’t regret voting Clinton over Trump but I never wasted any time feeling enthusiastic, then disillusioned.

It serves everyone to remain stuck on the 2016 election in some manner. Of course people who didn’t want Trump in office are stuck on it, but the man keeps blabbering about it. Take this article.

I don’t remember Shrub blabbering about Al Gore a year after he was sworn into office. What gives?

She is a useful bogeyman for a lot of people. Why?

• For me it’s easier to feel disappointed with Hillary than acknowledge how crushingly disappointed I’ve gotten with my whole side in the past year. I thought that at least the Trump win would consolidate the opposing side. I was not prepared for how completely disillusioned I feel with the opposition. There are people I know in RL and like whom I can’t even look at any longer because of the crap that has been pouring out of them in the past year. If Hillary hadn’t lost, the crap would still be there but I wouldn’t have to know about it and that would be easier.

That’s an honest answer.

• Demotrash on said:

Before Trump was elected, I thought the consensus opinion on our side was “Trump voters may irritate me, but they still deserve help for their issues.” Apparently not! The basic lack of humanity many people have is depressing.

Liked by 2 people

ICE detains a Polish doctor and green-card holder who has lived in the U.S. for nearly 40 years
    According to his “notice to appear” from the Department of Homeland Security, Niec’s detention stems from two misdemeanor convictions from 26 years ago. In January 1992, Niec was convicted of malicious destruction of property under $100. In April of that year, he was convicted of receiving and concealing stolen property over $100 and a financial transaction device.

Because Niec was convicted of two crimes involving “moral turpitude,” stemming from two separate incidents, he is subject to removal, immigration authorities wrote in the notice to appear, citing the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Both of the offenses took place when he was a teenager. He associated himself “with some bad people” his sister said. The first of the incidents involved an altercation with a driver after a car crash, Niec’s sister said. He was one of multiple teenagers in the car at the time.

The second of those convictions was eventually expunged from his criminal record, his sister said, as part of a guilty plea through Michigan’s Holmes Youthful Trainee Act, a program intended to help young offenders avoid the stigma of a criminal conviction. But even though the crime was scrubbed off his public record, it can still be used against him for removal from the country, his sister said.

…According to Kalamazoo County court records cited by MLive, Niec also pleaded guilty in 2008 to operating impaired by liquor. After he completed probation, the conviction was set aside, the plea withdrawn and the case dismissed. He was also charged with domestic violence in 2013 and a jury found him not guilty after a trial, MLive reported….

…Over the decades, tens of thousands of legal residents have been deported for relatively minor offenses. But under previous administrations, immigration authorities have often let low-level offenders off the hook, prioritizing the deportations of violent criminals. A memo from the Obama administration in 2011 directed immigration officials to look at a number of factors, such as familial relationships with U.S. citizens, criminal history, education and contributions to the community, in deciding whether arrests and prosecution are warranted, as The Post’s Kristine Phillips reported…

But the Trump administration has issued sweeping new guidelines expanding the range of immigrants that count as high priority for deportation, including low-level offenders, and those with no criminal record — regardless of how long they have lived in the country. Now, immigrants feel the threat of deportation more than ever, advocates say, whether they are residing here legally or not.

Why didn’t he apply for citizenship in 40 years? Unlike the green card, it’s neither expensive not complicated and requires no lawyer assistance.

It doesn’t say. I do know that the waiting lists and the laws change all the time. Also it’s very dependent on what country you’re from, your skills and your nationality.

I only know that everyone I know who naturalized did so with a lawyer’s advice. Further it’s not advisable to do so without good legal advice: forget to cross a T or dot an I and thirty years later they’re claiming you committed immigration fraud and booting your ass out of the country.

• The lawyers are helpful at the green card stage. But after that, it’s pretty much an automatic slide into citizenship. Unless one decides not even to make that minimal effort.

Getting the green card, though, yes, that was very expensive, painful and it lasted forever. I don’t have nice memories of the process.