This year, we decided to do a Celebration of Identity instead of regular Thanksgiving. We regularly hold Celebration of Identity days which means we eat tons of hard-core Soviet-style food. The menu for this year’s Identity Day is:
1. A salad called “Herring in a Fur Coat.”
2. A salad called “Mistress.”
3. A salad called “Olivier.”
4. A cake called “Ho Chi Minh’s House.”
5. A traditional Jewish dish called “Forshmak.” (Forshmak means “pre-taste” in Yiddish.)
6. Eggs stuffed with Mushrooms and caviar.
7. A salad called “Fishes in a Pond.”
These are all real names of very popular Soviet dishes. This will be the unhealthiest meal in the world but it is very tasty to a Soviet palate. I’ve never done Ho Chi Minh’s House and I’m notoriously lousy with cakes but if it comes out at least half well, I will post a picture.